New York Unemployment Insurance Information

CWA is working with the New York State Department of Labor to make it easier for members to file for unemployment benefits. Members should go to and sign up for unemployment benefits right away.

See this fact sheet on "Unemployment Insurance and Strikes". Make sure to indicate that you are not working due to a labor dispute or strike.

If you work in one state and live in another, you must file your claim for unemployment benefits with the state where you worked (New York).

If you can't file online you can file by phone. New York State residents should call 1-888-209-8124 and out of state residents should call 1-877-358-5306.

Note: If you live in one of the following New Jersey counties you should call 1-888-209-8124 (the NY State residents' number): Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Passaic, and Union.

CLICK HERE for the fact sheet.