CWA President Chris Shelton called on CWA members to join Workers' Memorial Day events on April 28 and to remember the five CWA members lost to workplace fatalities over the past year.
"As we remember those who have been killed on the job, we will also renew our fight for strong workplace safety and health protections," he said.
This year, CWA mourns the deaths of:
- Doug Dornback, 64, a member of CWA Local 6171. Employed by Frontier Communications as a construction splicer, Doug fell from a ladder while performing aerial work on May 10, 2016.
- Robert Hernandez, 61, a member of CWA local 9003. Employed by AT&T as a splicing technician, Doug was found hanging upside down on a utility pole on May 14, 2016.
- Heath Janssen, 41, a member of CWA Local 13101. Employed by Verizon as a splicing technician, Heath was loading equipment in the back of the company truck when a passing vehicle struck and killed him on June 8, 2016.
- Lloyd Windbigler, 66, a member of CWA local 7704. Employed by CenturyLink as a lineman, Lloyd was killed on Sept. 12, 2016, when his truck was hit by a train at an uncontrolled crossing.
- David Jur, 46, a member of Local 6132. Employed by AT&T as a Premises Technician, David was killed on Dec. 9, 2016, when a construction vehicle overturned and crushed him while he was performing telecommunications pedestal work.
Many CWA members have suffered work-related injuries and illnesses and near misses.
This year, the theme for Workers' Memorial Day is "Safe Jobs: Every Worker’s Right." CWA will be on the front lines in the fight to protect safety and health standards and ensure that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration conducts the inspections and oversight that workers deserve.
"I urge you to get involved on April 28 and organize actions to highlight the toll of work-related injuries, illnesses and fatalities," Shelton said. There are many allies in this fight, including environmental activists, civil rights and community activists, worker center, and justice allies.
Send photos from your events to CWAD1@cwa-union.org